2012年5月3日 星期四

Before I Go to Sleep


I have finished half of the novel. A woman, namely Christine, has suffered amnesia for over 20 years. Her memory can only retain 24 hours. Everytime she goes to sleep, her daytime experience evaporates. She cannot remember her husband, her dead son and her doctor. When she wakes up in the morning, she has to learn about her life through the journal she writes everyday.

I am overwhelmed by the concept of this novel. The feeling of lossing memory is so real that actually frightens me. A person without memory has nothing to anchor. Everyone seems to be strangers so you can trust no one. That puts you into a solitude, helpless, vulnerable and sometimes hysterical status. 

Something has happened to rob the life of Christine. I will read on to find out.

4 則留言:

Benjuotterly 提到...

It may sounds like a fascinating story (and it does), but when I think about it further, I can't help but to trying to compare this story line with people at the onset of having Alzheimer's disease. The frustration of not remember and the fear of uncertainty and helplessness must be unbearable. Glad to read your blog and your sharing of the story. Please keep us posted with the ending.

Betty 提到...

I have finished reading the story and found out the cause of Christine's amnesia. I have came across stories of this kind that the main characters usually ended up in loops and could never live normally in real world. 《Before I Go To Sleep》 has an unexpected happy ending. The horror and nightmares of the herorine came to an end finally. However, I am inclined to be perssimatic and believe the story is too good to be truth in real case like her.

Benjuotterly 提到...

LOL, that's why it's a novel/fiction. Anything more realistic would be "based on a real story". As you've said, the sadness is that in fact most of these don't end up with happy ending. And "happy ending" is there to give people a sense of hope. While that's a good thing, it's also important for people to realize the reality can be rather harsh.

Betty 提到...

Yes, agree with you.

So happy to have someone to share my thought.